How to Choose the Best Podcast Microphone
Intro to How to Choose the Best Podcast Microphone
When you create audio content online, the quality of your work has to be addressed. The problem is that normally, most people tend to focus on the content and leave the rest on the margins. However, it is a mistake to assume that doing so would be enough. Certainly, aspects related to accessibility and smoothness, and quality are important and deserve attention.
It is under this understanding that we think about microphones. Let’s be honest, who doesn’t like to hear anything of great quality? Furthermore, if you are a podcaster, and though it sounds obvious, it is very recommended to have a good microphone. Fortunately, you don’t necessarily have to break the bank since the offer is plenty. In today’s article, we will talk about 5 interesting microphones, give you a clear picture of them, mention features, specs, prices. And lastly, we will make a summary of the five to wrap it up.
Blue Yeti Microphone
A famous plug-and-play USB condenser professional microphone that counts with tri-capsule technology and four versatile patterns. It comes with a functional stand and is compatible with Windows 7 and macOS 10.10 and above.
It has a great aesthetic design and 3 nice metallic colors (black, blue, and gray). It comes with a 3.5 mm headphone jack. To hear it yourself without delays. And controls to mute, adjust headphone volumes, and control microphone gains.
Note that it is a side-address microphone, which is not a problem at all. It only means you talk to it by the side, so leave it facing up straight.
- Cardioid: Only to record sounds in front of it.
- Stereo: A wide and realistic capture, ideal for guitar or ASMR.
- Omnidirectional: Multidirectional, useful for meetings or band plays, for example.
- Bidirectional: Front and near audio capture, made for 1-1 conversations/ interview.
Blue Yeti Microphone specs:
- Type: Condenser
- Capsules: 3 blue-proprietary of 14mm
- Frequency: 20hz-20khz
- Max SPL: 120dB (THD: 0.5% 1kHz)
- Sample Rate: 48 kHz
- Multipolar pattern: 4 in total
- Bit rate: 16-bit.
- Dimensions (extended in stand): 12cm x 12.5cmx 29.5cm
- Weight (microphone and stand): 1.55 kg microphone
Official Price from the manufacturer’s Page: $129.99 in the US with free shipping in the American territory.
A professional dynamic cardioid broadcast microphone with a high output capsule and good low impedance balancing. Plus, it captures low handling noise and doesn’t need phantom power.
It is a 3-pin XLR microphone, which uses a special cable and needs a microphone interface. It is not intended to be used in computers, though you can use an adapter (and miss some quality). It is made for voice frequency response and has great noise reduction. Furthermore, thanks to its internal pop-filter that reduces plosives, it gives a superior high fidelity audio capture. You know, plosives are the strong B, T, P sounds that tend to be harsh when recorded.
It has a cylindric design with black and metallic golden parts, solid textures, and has a stand. There is a 10-year warranty with registration on their page. And is ideally used for a distance up to 5cm.
RØDE Procaster specs:
- Acoustic principle/ type: Dynamic
- Frequency Range: 75Hz - 18kHz
- Polar pattern: Cardioid
- Output Impedance: 320Ω
- Sensitivity: -56.0dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (1.60mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
- Weight: 745.00g
- Dimensions: 14.00mmH x 53.00mmW x 53.00mmD
Price from Amazon US: $236.86
A versatile studio-quality side-address uni-directional USB (microphone, in pure black design (6 m long cable). That comes with a tripod ideal for desks, ring mount, and a useful external pop shield/filter. It also has a 3.5mm headphone jack to monitor its capture in real-time and directly mixes control between its input and source output.
It counts withRØDE’s specialty as well, the plosive filters, so you got a great fidelity! Compatible for Windows, Mac and can be used with iPad as well (with adaptor). Lastly, it also counts with a 2-year extended warranty for free with the online registration.
RØDE NT-USB specs:
- Acoustic principle/type: Pressure Gradient
- Capsule: 0.50”
- Bit rate: 16 bits
- Frequency Range: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Maximum SPL: 110dBSPL
- Directional Pattern: Cardioid
- Dynamic Range:96dB
- Weight: 520g
- Dimensions: 184mmH x 62mmW x 50mmD
Price from Amazon US: $189.00
A vocal cardioid studio microphone that uses a 3-pin XLR cable and does not need phantom power. It offers a smooth audio capture in proximity, has a bass roll-off and mid-range controls that can be seen graphically. Besides, it counts with an internal air suspension shock isolation, pop filter, and cover plate. Plus, an advanced electromagnetic hum shielding, a windscreen (for plosives), and a useful locking yoke mount.
Its design is simple, pure black, and protects the cartridge quite well as it sort of covers it completely. Of course, without compromising its audio capture quality.
Shure SM7B specs:
- Type: Dynamic
- Frequency Response: 50Hz- 20kHz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Output Impedance: 150 Ω
- Hum Pickup (typical, at 60 Hz, equivalent SPL/mOe): 11 dB
- Sensitivity: (@ 1 kHz, open circuit voltage) -59 dBV/Pa 1
- Net Weight: 765.4 grams
- Dimensions: 189.7mm x 96.0mm x 147.5mm
Price from the Official Page: $399.00 for the US.
A dynamic microphone optimized for broadcasting speech with rich and balanced sound capture. It also has an internal pop filter for plosives and an internal shock mounting that reduces vibrations. It is a 3-pin XLR microphone, so it needs everything mentioned before.
It comes with the brand’s characteristic two-color design (metallic gold and black). Designed for Pro Podcast production Studio but can be used on third parties as well. It doesn’t’ require phantom power either. And also has a 2-year extended warranty with online registration.
RØDE PodMic specs:
- Acoustic Principle: Dynamic
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Range: 20Hz ~ 20kHz
- Output Impedance: 320Ω
- Sensitivity-57.0dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (1.60mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
- Weight(g): 937
- Dimensions (L x W x H, mm): 172 x 109 x 62
Price from Amazon US: $126.69
Summary of the Best Podcast Microphone
First, let’s talk about generalities. None of them require phantom power, those that are not USB microphones use a 3-pin XLR cable, and those that use USB have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Besides, most of the list’s microphones are dynamic, and allRØDE’s products have an internal pop-filter for the plosives. As for the uniqueness, the Blue Yeti microphone has 4 patterns (instead of only been cardioid as the rest) and comes with 3 color varieties. Besides, it is the only condenser microphone on the list (with three capsules condensers in total).
On theRØDE’s part, we see the unique inclusions of an external pop shield with the NT-USB purchase, the direct mix controls, and iPad support. Plus, it is the only pressure gradient microphone on the list. Furthermore, the Shure SM7B is unique as it has the bass roll-off and mid-range controls with graphic feedback and advanced hum shielding.
Now, let me summarize this article:
- Blue Yeti Microphone. USB, side-address, unique in the 3 aforementioned ways. Frequency: 20hz-20khz, 1.5 kg (with stand) for $129.99 (official page)
- RØDE Procaster. XLR 3-pin proximity dynamic broadcast mic, high output capsules, and good low impedance balancing. 10-year guaranty with online registration. Frequency Range: 75Hz - 18kHz, 0.74kg, for *$236.86* (Amazon US).
- RØDE NT-USB. Side-address, unique for the other 4 aforementioned reasons, 2 years extended warranty. Frequency Range: 20Hz - 20kHz, 520g, for *$189* (Amazon US).
- Shure SM7B. Vocal dynamic mic, uses XLR 3-pin cable, most protective design of all on the list, unique for those 2 reasons. Frequency Response: 50Hz- 20kHz, 765.4 g, for *$399* (official page).
- RØDE PodMic. Broadcast dynamic microphone using XLR technology, good internal vibration suppression. 2-year extended guarantee with online registration. Frequency Range: 20Hz ~ 20kHz, 937g, for *$126.69* (Amazon US)
Thanks for reading this article. We hope it has been insightful and now you are better prepared for your future purchase decision.